Protect Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
It’s heating season. This means that homeowners should be especially aware of carbon monoxide poisoning due to leaks. It is a tasteless, odorless gas that is produced from fuel consumption. It is also deadly to pets and humans. Leaks can come from household furnaces, boilers, water heaters and other household appliances. They are also virtually impossible to detect without an alarm. Homeowners may only become aware of the leak when they begin experiencing symptoms. These include dizziness, headaches, nausea, confusion, weakness or chest pain and eventually unconsciousness. If you beome aware of these symptoms, it is imperative that you immediately go outside into the fresh air and then seek medical attention. Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious and requires treatment.
Raise the Alarm
It is terrifying that such a deadly gas can flow into your home without warning. Fortunately, carbon monoxide detectors are cheap, reliable and easy to find.
Carbon monoxide detectors, like smoke alarms, alert everyone in the household to even a small leak. They can save lives if leaks occur overnight when everyone is asleep.
When picking out a carbon monoxide detector, choose a model that plugs in as well as has a battery backup in the event of a power outage. It is recommended that you purchase at least one for every floor of your home. Our recommendation is to place one in every bedroom and one where your furnace is located.
Plug your detectors into outlets that are close to the floor. Smoke rises, carbon monoxide doesn’t. It is heavier than air and accumulates on the ground.
Maintain your carbon monoxide detectors twice a year, just like your smoke alarms. Test each unit, replace the batteries and replace the entire detector if it’s past its expiration date.
If you have fallen victim to a carbon monoxide leak
Don’t re-enter or allow anyone else to re-enter the home or building until HVAC technicians have been contacted for emergency service. It can still be building up inside, and the structure will need to be ventilated before it’s safe to re-enter.
Stop Leaks Before They Start
The best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks is to have your HVAC system maintained every year. Even hairline cracks in your heat exchanger can cause a carbon monoxide leak. And with regular inspections, they can be found and repaired before they grow into major problems that could result in gas leaks.
If you’re overdue for a furnace inspection, call Newmiller HVAC today. We also offer an annual service and inspection for Cozy Club members.